Stay Healthy Caramelized Onion Bella Pizza
- 6 large onions - Caramelized
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea Salt
- Small sliced portabella mushrooms (I buy pre - sliced)
- Minced garlic (jarred)
- 100% whole wheat pizza crust (I buy an organic pre-cooked natural wheat variety, thin crust)
- Reduced Fat Italian Cheese Blend (I buy a 2 cup pre-shredded bag)
- Caramelize the Onions
- Heat 3 tablespoons EV Olive Oil in a large heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then cook onions with 1/2 teaspoon sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until softened and beginning to brown, about 15 minutes. Reduce heat to moderate and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden, about 15 minutes more. Reduce heat to low and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft and deep golden brown, about 15 minutes more. Remove from heat and cool to warm, about 10 minutes. You can also do this ahead of time and keep stored in your refrigerator for a ready to make pizza.
- Layer the Crust
- I buy a 100% whole wheat organic variety to save time but feel free to make your own wheat crust. Drizzle the crust with EV olive oil and rub the oil to cover the entire crust. Place one heaping tablespoon on minced garlic on the crust and spread to cover (feel free to use as much as you want, sometimes I use 2 Tbsp). Place caramelized onions on the crust to thoroughly cover. I like a thick layer of onions. Slice the portabella mushrooms thin and layer over pizza. Sprinkle the pizza with reduced fat Italian cheese blend to your preference of coverage.
- Cooking the Pizza
- Bake in pre - heated 400 degree oven for approximately 15-20 minutes. If using a pre -made crust, place directly on oven rack for a crispier pizza. Remove from oven, slice and enjoy!
(c) Stay Healthy Fitness