Have you ever tried Spaghetti Squash? Well, this fabulous vegetable makes a wonderful substitute for the typical white noodle pasta in spaghetti. (Thus, it’s appropriate name.) In order to eat healthier, white pasta truly should NOT be eaten on a regular basis. My recommendation is to eliminate as many white, enriched products from your daily food intake as you can.
Wondering about the taste? YES, the squash tastes wonderful with the pasta sauce in this recipe, based on lean ground turkey. (Or feel free to create your own tasty sauce to compliment.) Lastly, this main course meal combines your veggies & proteins in one convenient dish.
- 1 Spaghetti Squash
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- ½ large onion chopped
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil or feel free to chop fresh and use in the sauce
- 1 tsp dried red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 15oz can Italian seasoned diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- ½ bag fresh baby spinach leaves
- Wash the squash, remove the label, cut it down the middle (be cautious … it takes a bit of muscle), remove seeds and pulp, and bake rind side, in a small bit of water, cover with foil in 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes. OR use a crock pot according to directions. I crock my squash all day, and fork the strands right out of the pot into a bowl when done.
- Heat a large sauté pan or skillet on medium high heat, add a bit of olive oil, add chopped onion & garlic until onion is soft and translucent. Add the lean ground turkey, fork and brown. During the browning process, add the seasoning and spices. Pour in the can of diced Italian style tomatoes with the juice and tomato sauce. Add the baby spinach leaves & continue stirring until they wilt completely, and the sauce is completely blended. Time for a taste test … if you feel the sauce needs a bit more of this or that, add what other spices you like, be creative.
- Using a large slotted spoon, ladle the squash onto a plate, and add the sauce on top, or simply poor the skillet of sauce over all the squash noodles and serve from the bowl.