Don’t you agree that coming in from the cold into a home filled with the aroma of a hearty cooked meal is the absolute BEST? You can have this wonderful experience again and again. All you need is a crock pot, the ingredients, and this recipe.
Putting together this main course is a delight. As the chili cooks throughout the day, I sample a bite every once in awhile because it smells so good as it cooks. I love this chili on the spicy side. However, you can make it your own by adding the spices to your taste. You can even omit them altogether.
Once it’s cooked, complete the meal by adding a hearty cornbread. Break the cornbread up into pieces and stir it into each serving. Or, consider placing a nice warm slice of cornbread on the bottom of the bowl and ladle chili over the top.
- 1 ½ lb lean ground turkey
- 1 medium sweet onion coarsely chopped
- 1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 can (14.5oz) diced Italian style tomatoes and juice
- 2 cans (15oz) & (8oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4oz) fire roasted green chilies (chopped)
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 can (15.25oz) low sodium kidney beans
- 1 can (15 oz) low sodium black beans
- 1 can (15oz) low sodium pinto beans
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp all natural molasses
- Preparation in the morning before noon:
- Heat a large saute skillet, rough chop the onion and place in the pan with a bit of olive oil to prevent sticking. Add the minced garlic and cook until onion is translucent. Add in the lean ground turkey. While the meat is browning, set your crock pot on 6 to 8 hours or for the time you want your meal to be ready. To your crock pot, add the remaining ingredients. Pour the cooked turkey, onion & garlic into the mixture and stir well. I usually take a sample taste at this point, but the full flavors will blossom in a few hours. Put the lid on and go about your day and dinner will be ready for you tonight.