The secret to this fabulous “always moist” brown rice is the added celery in the ingredients. I have crocked several batches of brown rice and this is the BEST recipe so far. Every time I get a great result. The texture of the rice is moist, never dry, even after placing the leftovers in the refrigerator for the week.
Add veggies and spices to make this rice tasty without having to add anything when serving. This rice is good with anything; I like to side mine with crockpot chicken or grilled fish (try the pan roasted salmon or grilled whitefish recipes). Couple it with organic black beans for a complete protein meal.
- Round 4-quart crockpot set to high (cook for approximately 3-5 hours)
- Put the following ingredients into the crockpot:
- 2 cups organic Brown Rice
- 5 cups water
- 1 14.5oz can organic ready cut diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 4 ribs organic celery, rinsed and diced
- ½ large sweet white onion, chopped
- Sriracha hot chili sauce (I squirt this all over the top before stirring)
- Organic herb mix (non salt) I sprinkle this in approx 2 tbsp
- ½ to 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- Stir the ingredients in the crock, put the lid on and let it cook. Stir again about 2 hours in and to check on the rice. Keep cooking until the rice absorbs all the liquid and the mixture is thick but not mushy.