Grilled Sausage and Mango Pizza
- 6 organic roma tomatoes or tomatoes on the vine
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper for seasoning
- Organic extra virgin olive oil for drizzle
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella cheese
- Small bag grated provolone or blend containing provolone cheese
- Small bag grated sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1 mango in season, peeled and chopped into chunks
- Small package or garden fresh basil
- ½lb package organic Italian seasoned chicken meatballs (fully cooked)
- Small package sun-dried tomatoes without oil
- 1 ball uncooked fresh whole wheat pizza dough from grocery or make your own
- Preheat the grill to medium high (500°). Clean the grates. Once the grill is up to heat, oil the grates with vegetable oil.
- Begin by cutting tomatoes in halves and removing seeds and pulp. Place on grill, cut side down, for 5-7 minutes or until charred and softened. Flip them and grill on the skin side for 2-3 more minutes. Remove to a large bowl. Gently mash tomatoes with a potato masher being careful as they are very hot. The sauce should have a chunky consistency. Season the sauce to taste with fresh grated pepper and Sea salt. Set aside
- Sprinkle some whole wheat flour on a cleared surface and using with fingertips gently push the dough ball into a flat round. Lift the dough up and gently pull the disk wider and wider, making sure to keep it an even thickness. Do this until you have a round or rectangle shaped pizza pie that is ½ - ¼ inch thick throughout. Sometimes, the dough can be difficult, and rolling with a pin is required.
- Place the prepared pizza dough onto a floured upside down cookie sheet (lipped edge facing down). Gently slide the dough onto the heated grill and time it for 1 to 1 ½ minutes (this part is very important otherwise you will burn your dough). Check for puffed dough and some light char marks on the grill side. Cook for a few more seconds if required. Remove from grill and bring back to the prep table.
- Flip the pizza over so the grilled side is facing up on the cookie sheet. Spoon mashed tomato sauce onto pizza crust until nearly covered. Next gently tear the mozzarella cheese and place on the pizza. Sprinkle a small amount of provolone Italian blend cheese and optional grated cheddar. Finish the pie by crumbling organic chicken sausage, chunked mango, sundried tomatoes, and torn basil leaves to top the pizza. Drizzle with a small amount of olive oil.
- Return topped pizza to the grill and time for 2 minutes. Check the pizza for grill marks on the underside and cheese has melted. Grill a few more seconds if required but keep an eye not to burn your crust.
- Remove and serve immediately with more fresh basil if desired.
(c) Stay Healthy Fitness