Quinoa Chicken with Fresh Basil
- 1 cup (dry pre-rinsed) organic quinoa, cooked according to directions below
- 1-2 prepared grilled boneless/skinless chicken breast (I use crock pot shredded chicken that has been slow cooked with lots of flavor)
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- No-salt Italian seasoning
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Minced garlic
- Fresh basil
- Crushed red pepper flakes (optional but I like a little kick)
- Sliced almonds for garnish
- Light Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top (optional)
- Chicken Breasts: This recipe calls for 2 pre-cooked shredded breasts. I like to use a crock-pot chicken that has been slow cooked with spices and full of flavor.
- Cooking the Quinoa: I do not rinse the quinoa as it is pre-rinsed and I have not had a problem with the product. Using a large sauce pan, pour about 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil and 1 tsp minced garlic in the bottom. Measure one cup quinoa and pour in the pan, fork through until well covered and allow to simmer for about 3-5 minutes, or until the quinoa is slightly toasted. Add 2 cups of water, cover with a lid and simmer until cooked through 15-20 minutes. Keep an eye on it so that it does not burn and stick to the pan.
- The Sauce: 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil,1 heaping tbsp minced garlic, ½ cup to 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, julienne style (I prefer the vacuum sealed bag without oil) and I also prefer the extra flavor so lean toward 1 cup, 1 tbsp no-salt Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes to taste (optional, but fabulous), 1 large bunch (fresh, chopped) Fresh Basil, about 1 cup
- In a large sauté pan or cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over low to medium heat, careful not to get too hot. The point is to heat or warm the oil. Add the garlic, Italian seasoning, sun-dried tomatoes, and crushed red pepper. Sauté until fragrant. Do not burn. Add the shredded chicken breast and toss to coat. Add the fresh chopped basil and continue to stir, but do not allow to wilt too much. The purpose is to warm through and coat with the oil.
- Put It All Together: In a large serving bowl, place the sauce mixture on the bottom, and pour the cooked quinoa over the top. Gently toss until all ingredients are just combined. Do not over stir. Serve with a sprinkle of sliced raw almonds and optional Parmesan cheese.
(c) Stay Healthy Fitness