Stay Healthy Spicy Brown Rice and Chicken
- 2 boneless/skinless chicken breasts (or bulk cook in Crock)
- Brown rice (prepare enough to serve single, double, or family batch)
- Fresh tomatoes for garnish and eating
- Fresh avocado ¼ per serving
- Non-fat plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream
- Spices I used, but feel free to be creative:
- Medium heat salsa 1 cup
- Crushed red peppers 1 tbsp
- Cumin 1 tsp
- Cayenne pepper 1 tsp
- Chili powder 1 tsp
- Curry powder 1 tsp
- Onion powder 1 tsp
- Paprika 1 tsp
- Taco seasoning to taste
- Crockpot Chicken: Prepare your chicken the night before in a Crockpot (see my recipe). Put chicken breasts, spices and pour salsa over the top with a small amount of water. I set my Crock to finish cooking in 8 hours. The chicken breasts will be setting in broth when done. Fork the chicken apart until shredded & the broth has soaked into the meat. Sample the meat, if you need to add more spice or salsa, feel free. I am usually good to go. OR
- Marinated Grilled Chicken: Marinate the chicken breast in the salsa with the spices for at least an hour, grill until cooked thought and moist, remove and shred.
- Crockpot brown rice: Cooks really quickly within 4 hours in the Crock (or see my recipe). Put in the amount of rice you want to use for the recipe or cook plenty to have throughout the week. Follow the package directions for rice to water amount. Add the spices and salsa. Cover and cook. OR
- Stovetop brown rice: Simply follow the package directions adding the spices as listed and as you desire to taste.
- Slice up the fresh tomatoes and avocado
- Putting it all together: Place a serving size portion of the spiced brown rice in the center of a lunch size plate, create a divot in the rice and place the shredded chicken in the divot and over the rice. Slice ¼ of the fresh avocado and place over the chicken, add the non/fat plain yogurt and garnish the outside of the dish with fresh tomatoes. This is a simply tasty dish that will please everyone.
(c) Stay Healthy Fitness