Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 4 large green bell peppers (red or yellow can also be used)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper (1tsp in the mix, 1tsp in the tomato sauce)
- 1 can diced Italian style tomatoes
- tomato sauce - enough to cover the bottom of a casserole dish
- Light mozzarella cheese, shredded or light cheese of choice
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place in a casserole dish - the bottom of the dish should be covered with a thin layer of the spiced tomato sauce.
- In a pan, add canola oil and sauté the onions until translucent (5-7 minutes). Add minced garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the ground turkey and brown. Add Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper to the meat mixture.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked ground turkey, brown rice, and diced tomatoes. I like my food on the spicy side so I taste it at this point and add more crushed red pepper if I need to. Scoop mixture into each bell pepper half. Spoon more sauce over the top and sprinkle with light mozzarella cheese (or your light favorite cheese).
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover and cook an additional 5 minutes to barely brown the tops. Makes 4 servings
(c) Stay Healthy Fitness