This gnocchi was a fun recipe to create because I’m such a believer in healthy foods tasting fabulous and being fun to make. Toss the rumors that eating healthy means boiled chicken, fish, or steamed broccoli at every meal. I try to create with spices and herbs that really WOW a healthy meal’s taste. And I believe in simple to make meals in minutes. This recipe has all that and more.
Getting to this recipe and my love for sweet potatoes … YES, I eat sweet potatoes several times throughout the week. They are perfect as a meal or cooking/baking ingredient. And they make a great base for this recipe. Use this healthy main course or side dish gnocchi recipe, and I think you will absolutely love it with your favorite sauce. Try it with a marinara next time, though you might really enjoy my extra virgin olive oil with Italian herbs and seasoning blends for this recipe.
- 1 medium sweet potato
- ¼ cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp Johnny Seasoning or Italian Blend
- 1 egg white
- 2/3 cup Whole wheat flour
- Cook sweet potato in steamer until soft, about 20 minutes. Let cool until able to handle, remove skin.
- In a large bowl smash the sweet potato until smooth, add the ricotta cheese, garlic, chopped fresh basil, and seasoning until well blended.
- Add the egg white and flour until sticky dough forms.
- Have a large pot ready with rapidly boiling water. Place a bowl nearby with extra flour to sprinkle on your hands as you roll the dough into small balls. Work close to the boiling water, and as you make each ball, drop it carefully into boiling water. Do not overcrowd. Cook until they float.
- Remove into a colander and toss with your favorite sauce. These have a texture and taste similar to ravioli and will compliment a red sauce or EV olive oil and Italian seasoning blend. I also sprinkled a bit of Parmesan cheese to serve.